Skip to content

Top 50 searches on addons.mozilla.org

The flight from Portland to San Jose is just about the right length to write some scripts to analyze a bunch of data, make a pretty graph, and then write a blog post drawing fairly obvious conclusions. Someone on IRC said they were interested in the top search terms being used on addons.mozilla.org so here we are.

During the week of April 29, 2009 and May 5, 2009 there were around 150000 queries. Of the top 20 queries on addons.mozilla.org (a quick estimate says that is around 12% of the total queries on the site) only 7 actually have search terms. The rest are just choosing different options for the search like category or number of results on a page. If we filter the top queries for ones that include search terms we get a graph that looks like this:

All the searches on that page are for the en-US locale unless otherwise noted. It looks like the majority of searches are for specific add-ons but there are also some popular generic terms like download, gmail, and video. I think it’s interesting that German was the only other locale to make the list (and fairly high up on the list). Maybe the next stats post will be about overall locale use.

{ 6 } Comments

1. Dan | May 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

“google” is there twice, is one of them in a different locale?

2. Wil Clouser | May 26, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

“google” is there twice, is one of them in a different locale?

They are both en-US. I think that slipped past my filter for URL differences which means one has more results per page or something.

3. Daniel Einspanjer | May 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

The top 3 localizations calculated by Firefox average daily usage are:
    en-US = 41%
    de = 11%
    fr = 6%

I think that those percentages would make it reasonable to see a couple of the most popular German searches show up but pretty much unlikely that any other one would.
    I believe a really interesting revision of your script would be to generate statistics for top searches not in en-US. You might surface some interesting search patterns specific to certain languages.

4. T | October 3, 2011 at 6:21 am | Permalink

Very interesting stats thanks!
    Is there any place to find such updated data?
    Are those sats or raw data public? Could you point me to where i can find them?
    Thanks
    T

5. Wil Clouser | October 3, 2011 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Thanks, there isn’t a public interface for the data right now. It was just something I cooked up on a plane ride. I’ll try to come up with some more interesting stats soon.

6. T | October 9, 2011 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Fantastic I look forward to it.
    Thanks for the great info!
    Cheers